Sunday, March 05, 2006

The One Time I Enjoy Basketball Each Year

Hard to believe, but it's almost that time of year again: March Madness is little more than a week away. I'm giddy as a schoolgirl (try to get that visual of me dressed up as such -- with pigtails and knee-high socks! -- out of your head, ha).

While my alma mater is not going to be making the trip this year -- not that I am all that disappointed, as they would have invariably been bounced out in the first round -- I look forward to seeing the team I grew up watching, the UConn Huskies, romp their way through the bracket.

I still remember 1999, a year when UConn won the tourney. I was sailing with the family down in the British Virgin Islands and I'm pacing the bow of the boat, trying to listen to one of the games on this little small-band radio I had brought down for that sole purpose. The reception was terrible and scratchy, but if I focused, I could hear every fouth word.

And I still remember jumping up in down when UConn won their match-up in the semifinals. I was actually rocking the boat with my joy.

Ah, good times...

No comments: