Monday, October 23, 2006

The Show Doesn't Need to Go On

Encore: "An extra or repeated performance; usually given in response to audience demand."

A long while back, the concert encore was an extraordinary experience, done only on rare occasions. Now, sadly, it has crossed the chassis to be overdone. It has now become expected, de rigueur. Clap your hands, say yeah and chant the band's name-- they're more than likely going to be coming out again anyway. But how many times has a band truly warranted an encore, really?

While I'm all for getting more bang for your concert buck, the encore needs to become more special, returning to the status it once was. I've probably been to about 100 concerts in my lifetime -- the majority in smaller venues, not the arenas -- and can think of maybe one-tenth of those artists that truly deserved another round. The rest just played on some more, as I look at my watch and sigh.

Maybe I've been reading too much Idolator recently, but can we stop encouraging this for the lesser performances?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I always think the same thing! I thought I was just crotchety - it's nice to know I'm not alone. I think the unwanted encore spoils the end of the show and the whole flavor of the event. It's totally anticlimactic.

Same thing with standing ovations for plays. It's supposed to be special - you don't get one just for getting to the end. Another reason why I love England; there, actors have to really deserve their standing O.