Saturday, April 15, 2006

Another Song to Not Sing in Cabs

"Sir, I would recommend you not sing that song in this cab, or any cab, for that matter."

This was some friendly advice from a cabbie last Thursday. It seems that at the beginning of this month, a London man was detained as he tried to board a plane. According to Spin Magazine, he "sparked the concern of the cab driver who took him to the airport when he sang along to the Clash classic, "London Calling," which includes the lyrics "Now war is declared-- and battle come down."" They thought he might be a terrorist.

The song my own cabbie was asking I refrain from humming along to? Jimi Hendrix's "Hey Joe," which I was listening to on my iPod (yeah, I finally caved in and got one).

A sample of the lyrics: "Yes, I did, I shot her. You know I caught her messin' 'round, messin' 'round town. Yes, I did, I shot her. You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round the town. And I gave her the gun, I shot her."

I can see his point.

No comments: