Sunday, July 03, 2005

My 8-Word "War of the Worlds" Review

"Dakota Fanning annoys the hell out of me."

Simply, I can't put my finger on why this is, though-- perhaps because I'm always looking for the strings attached to her that help her convey emotion and movement.

Besides that, though, the film is fine. Not great, but good enough for a summer film. Some of the scenes are absolutely amazing, like when Tom Cruise is walking through the tree grove as victims' clothing flies everywhere. But the picture left me wanting, despite the focus of the film not being the aliens but on one "family" throughout. Such is the limitations for the scale Steven Spielberg wanted to achieve.

But, for me, the highlight was in the previews, for I finally got to see the trailer for "Elizabethtown" on a full screen. I lost my dad about a month ago and some of the emotions and words that Cameron Crowe writes in the script are nailed-- I teared up on a little on what was shown just in the preview. This is going to be a great, great film.

No comments: